Sunday, July 19, 2009

Kaishi

When you read this, you'll probably think, Damn, is he obsessed with snow and ice? (or something along those lines). The answer is...a little, but not for the same reason as other people my age; not "oh, fire & ice, sexeh, i think ima get me some-a that". No, it's 'cause that's what I grew up in. Yay, Minnesota. And no, that's not where I am now. I can't say I hate everyone here anymore...my fiancée and both little sisters were born and/or raised here, after all.
Anyway, onto this story teaser (which is in a fictional place similar to northwestern Russia in the near future):

Kaishi

"It's not that; I just wanted to say-"
"No! Never!"
"Why not?!"
"You're MY sister, not THEIRS! I shouldn't need to explain myself."
"But-" Natalie starts, but is interrupted by Adara.
"No."
"Listen to me for once! You're always doing this!"
"I'm listening. Say it."
"Okay, it's not a permanent thing. Two months. Tops. I'll be back before you get to Kaishi. Everything'll be better after that. I promise."
"That's it? That's all you wanted to say, Natalka?" Adara crossed her arms.
"Yes. That's it."
Adara harumphed and turned away from her sister long enough to realize that Natalie was the one who was destroying HER chance of survival. There's no way they'd let her in THERE when they knew her sister was off killing others of their kind. "You're letting me die until then. Thanks so VERY much!"
Natalie stepped back. "I'm not going to let you die. As soon as I get back, I'll get the best doctors I can find to fix you."
"I'm not as broken as you." Adara continued walking away, arms still crossed over her chest. She coughed, blood sticking to her hand. "If I die before you get back, it'll be my dying wish to make you come with me. You know these people won't object to killing us."
Natalie dropped her head. She walked outside and climbed into her car, which had already been buried under the snow. She turned on the external heat and sat with her head back, waiting for the snow to get below windshield-level. She switched off the heat and drove away.

No comments:

Post a Comment