Friday, June 19, 2009

Random Story

Write down a list of subjects. Write down a list of simple plots. This works best if you write them on notecards. Separate the two piles of notecards (each with one subject OR one plot on them) and pick a random card from them (or shuffle and take the top card). Now write for 20 minutes without stopping (or looking at a clock. You'll need some kind of alarm) about them.

I'd tell you mine, but it ruins the surprise ending.

Untitled 20 Minute Story

Tom looked across the yard and began talking to a new friend he made within the past week.
"You know, before I got this job, I was in the navy. What a coincidence that as soon as I got this security guard job, I got hired by the Village People!"
The friend remained motionless and silent. Tom sat down in the grass. He didn't know whose property he was on, but his friend didn't seem to care.
"That's what I like about you, man; you listen to me, not like the little lady. How long have you been here?"
The friend looked a little green to Tom now.
"That long, huh? Have you lost weight since last time?"
The friend had lost a little off the side, probably from all the kids in the neighborhood.
"Why won't you answer me? I've been asking questions for days now and all you can do is keep your flat face looking at me?" Tom yelled, arousing the suspicion of this property's neighbors. He continued: "Is this all you do all day? Sit around growing your ivy? You're such a failure at life, man."
Tom looked at his watch. He had to go soon. He waved to his friend and said, "Same time tomorrow?"
His friend remained silent and emotionless, despite having a brick red face.
"Fine, don't answer me! See if I care! They'll just break you down and throw you away!" Tom kicked his friend and broke a few bricks. "Yeah, that's right! You're a wall! I said it!" Tom looked pensive for a second. "Sorry, man. I'll be back tomorrow. I hope I didn't uproot any of your ivy."
-------------------------------------------------------------
If you didn't guess it, my cards were [Security Guard for the Village People] and [Talking to an Ivy-Covered Wall]. I think I've put enough for tonight, but I might put some of my short stories on here (they're significantly longer than this, but I should just have to copy and paste them on here).

No comments:

Post a Comment